Gas leaks can cause extreme energy bills, fires, and even explosions. Ensuring your gas lines are properly maintained is imperative to your family’s safety and well-being. However, sometimes problems still occur. Typically, these issues are non-emergency and can be repaired fairly easily with no harmful effects. However, sometimes, gas leaks can cause major damage to your home and your health. Therefore, we always advise our clients to turn off the gas, leave the home immediately and call a professional if any of these signs of a gas leak occur.
One of the most noticeable signs of a gas leak is a funny smell around your home that resembles sulfur or rotten eggs. This smell is a definite sign of a gas leak (unless you have leftover egg salad laying around) and should be handled immediately.
Orange Pilot Light
Your gas appliances should always have a sharp blue flame coming from their pilot light. If the flame is orange or yellow, the pilot light isn’t receiving enough gas. While this doesn’t always mean a gas leak, it’s a very good indicator and should be taken seriously.
Natural gas has the same effects that carbon monoxide poisoning has on a person. Therefore, if you begin to experience nausea, headaches, fatigue, or trouble breathing, there is a good chance you have a gas leak and should be acted on accordingly.
High Gas Bill
If your bill is typically $100 and this month it jumped to $300, you probably have a gas leak. Unfortunately, if the gas leak is within your property line, you will still be liable for the large bill, but if the leak is located outside your property line, the utility company may be on the hook. Call a professional to locate the leak and advise you on next steps.
When you suspect you may have a gas leak, don’t take chances that could affect your health and well-being. Call a professional immediately. The experts at Metroplex Leak & Line Locators will respond quickly and professionally to ensure your leak is taken care of promptly.